Thursday, September 20, 2012

Nacho Cheese "Soup"

What do you call cheese that isn't yours?

NACHO CHEESE!

Sorry, couldn't help it. As I was putting this "recipe" together, I couldn't get that silly joke out of my head. 

Here's the story - a few weeks back, the Big Guy had a bunch of his guy buddies over for a Fantasy Football Draft Party. This is an annual event in my house. They all get together and spend several very serious hours putting together their fantasy football teams. Once it's all over, everyone can relax and enjoy some yummy refreshments.  This year, in an effort to keep things simple, I decided to put out a Nacho Bar. One "easy" ingredient that I decided to use was a large can of that liquid nacho cheese.

Did I say large? This can was HUGE. I don't know what I was thinking. Normally, I'm opposed to any form of liquid cheese - it just isn't natural, I tell you. But then to get the super-sized can? I must have had a serious lapse of judgement. Even worse, after the party, I still had massive quantities of this cheese left.  So, I decided to turn it into Nacho Cheese Soup. This is not for the gourmet chef, or the faint of heart. This is one of those "use up ingredients in the fridge" type experiences.


And have I mentioned that I have teenagers? This would get eaten.


The cast of characters goes like this:
  • Liquid Nacho Cheese
  • Salsa
  • Milk
  • Chopped or Shredded Chicken
  • Onion

Pour a little oil in the bottom of a pan.  Please note - my pan is not dirty. It is well-loved. My friend Kathy gave me that pan. Thanks, Kathy!

 Chop up an onion.


 Toss into the bottom of the well-loved pan.


Stir to coat and cook until the onion is soft and translucent. By the way, see that wooden spoon? I bought it from a guy at a Farmer's Market. I don't remember his name. But I love that spoon. I need to get some more.


Toss in a little salt.


Pause to consider the incredibly large containers of salsa and cheese.


Six POUNDS of cheese. That's like the size of a baby. Okay, not a baby in my family. We grow them large in my clan. The Girl was almost nine pounds and 24 inches long. She was really hairy and had a huge head. I'm sure she'll be glad I told you that.


I was going to post the nutritional information for the Nacho Cheese. But we all know that's a bad idea.

You're going to need about 2 cups of chicken. I happened to have some already cooked and waiting for me in the refrigerator. It's like I planned it. I love it when a plan comes together.


Add the chicken to the onion in the pan. Admire the wooden spoon again. It has the guy's signature on it, but I can't read it. Think about going back to the Farmer's Market to find him.


Add about a cup or so of salsa to the chicken.



Let the chicken and salsa become friends.


Doesn't it look friendly?


Contemplate the cheese.


Add about two cups of cheese to the pan. I got this ladle at Weight Watchers. It is exactly a cup. Ironic, actually, considering the fact that this recipe is most definitely NOT a Weight Watchers recipe. So please don't ask me for the points value. I don't know. I don't want to know. We're all going to pretend for one day that this is health food.



Add the same amount of milk as cheese. In this case, two cups.


Stir it all together. Take a taste and see if it needs anything. I added pepper. Oh, and by the way, if the Big Guy is reading this, I did not fling my iPhone across the room as I was putting the milk away. That is just an urban legend.

The good news is that, if it HAD flown across the room, it did not break.


And sour cream. It just needed a little something.


As you're adding the sour cream, please try not to fling it across the kitchen. But sometimes, things happen. Iphones fly. Sour cream flies. Don't judge.


Call Daisy and George in for clean-up duty. If you look really closely, you can see sour cream on George's face. Thanks, George.

For the record, clean-up duty is not why I got dogs. But it's a bonus.


Anyway, let everything come together and heat up.

Dish up and serve.




There you have it. Easy dinner. Not health food. But still yummy. And a good way to use up a giant can of nacho cheese if you happen to have one sitting around.

No comments:

Post a Comment