Monday, September 3, 2012

So, obviously, if you look at the length of times between posts, you will see that my friend was probably right. I don't have time. In all honestly, summer kind of got away from me. Now it's Labor Day; school starts tomorrow. In less than 24 hours, my kid is going to start her senior year in high school. Where did the time go? It seems like only yesterday I was watching her get on the school bus to head off to kindergarten. I distinctly remember how her new backpack seemed so big on her little body. Now she's seventeen and talking all about what will happen when she goes to college. It's not happening, by the way, I am in denial. She is going to stay with me forever.

But first - let's review what I DID accomplish this summer. We had a kick butt vacation on the East Coast on Martha's Vineyard. I had never taken a full two weeks of vacation time from work, and it was worth every minute. We also got in a few solid beach days on Lake Michigan. And we even worked in a few days "up north" in Traverse City.  Other than that, I worked. Drove a teenager to/from work. And I cooked. I cooked a lot. Unfortunately, I also failed to document most it. Shame on me. We will have to rectify that situation.  My next post, I'll document some of my successful culinary adventures from the past couple of months.

For the record, when I decided I was going to do this blog, I cracked open those recipe boxes and realized they didn't contain as much as I thought. (Guess I probably should have checked out the contents before I started this project.) The recipes from my paternal grandmother ("Nana") are actually kind of funny. They are very basic recipes. I think when my parents got married, she may have assumed that my mother was completely inept in the kitchen. The recipes are so ridiculously basic, I'm surprised there isn't one in there explaining how to boil water.

What I had been hoping for was more of Nana's classic recipes - the pesto, her gazpacho, creamed peas and onions.  I wanted the things that we had grown up eating at her house. Where were those recipes? I did a little research. Turns out, one of my cousins was fortunate enough to gain possession of Nana's actual recipe boxes after she passed away. So I contacted her, and she is going to send me the recipe boxes. (I had to swear that I would scan them, treat them kindly, and return them straightaway.) So hopefully I will have them soon and this adventure can commence.

Until next time, my friends. Go eat something delicious.





No comments:

Post a Comment